About once a week from now on and as long as she’s still with us, our golden retriever Sheba is going to share one thing she does to live life to the fullest. At times when I’m watching her doing something fun, I get this feeling that she knows that her days in this world are winding down, and she is determined to make the most of them. It never fails to bring a smile to my face!
TIP #10: BE A HELPER, because helping feels good for both the giver and the receiver!
What can dogs do to help?
Lots of dogs are service dogs, visit nursing homes or hospitals, or have other important jobs like sniffing out drugs at airports. However, not all dogs are going to work outside the home, but there are lots of things you can do around the house to help!
- Luke picks up his toys.
- The whole crew helps with the pre-rinse cycle on dishes by licking them clean.
- Luke and Cricket guard the house.
- Of course, there’s always giving love and comfort to your humans when they need you, that’s a very important job.
Sheba thought outside the box and found a different way to be a great help to me last week. I mentioned yesterday that Luke was going strong on his birthday, right through the end of the day. We had had a very busy week and by the end of that day I was so tired.
Luke had already played with two new toys from his Pet Treater box, and one birthday toy I had bought him. That was still not enough! Luke is a very smart boy and he knew where I had hidden his birthday toys, so he went over to that door and started whining.
With a big sigh, I had to give him his last toy, a Kong squeaky ball. I just didn’t have the energy to play with him, so hoped he would entertain himself. What did Sheba do? She got right in there to play with her brother and keep him entertained!
They succeeded in bringing a big smile to my face as well. What does your dog do to be a helper?
Today is the last day to enter Sheba’s Very Special Birthday Giveaway! Click here!
Have you seen Sheba’s other tips for Living Life to the Fullest?
- Tip 1 – Don’t be afraid to get dirty!
- Tip 2 – FunTime video!
- Tip 3 – How to get a good night’s sleep!
- Tip 4 – Indulge Your Parents!
- Tip 5 – Do what you love!
- Tip 6 – Be just a little naughty!
- Tip 7 – Enjoy the simple things!
- Tip 8 – Get out and walk!
- Tip 9 – Smile!