Macanna (muh-kan-uh) is Hawaiian for “gift” and the K9 Crew was thrilled to get some of Grandma Lucy’s tropical gifts to enjoy (and to be able to give our readers a chance to win as well!). We had a little summer party out on the deck so they could try these goodies out.
Disclosure: This post is sponsored by Grandma Lucy’s; we were compensated in exchange for our fair and honest review. Wag ‘n Woof Pets only shares products we believe will be of interest to our readers. All opinions are our own.
We’re all about the summer fun here, so we got out the balls for some play time, had some appetizers, and then went on to the main course!
It’s not a party without some ball play, so Cricket insisted they do that first, even though Luke was more interested in the food.
Grandma Lucy’s has been on our menus for a while now; I’m a fan of the company, their quality ingredients, and their values, and Luke and Cricket simply love their products for the taste.
We think the Macanna bag says it all: “Grandma Lucy’s is proud to be able to create this food as our gift to you. The gift to help support many healthy and happy years with your pet through whole foods and superior nutrition.”
Each ingredient in Macanna freeze-dried foods was chosen for a specific benefit for a dog’s health.
- Healthy proteins such as beef and salmon.
- Pinto beans – low in fat, rich in fiber and folate. They burn slowly so give your dog an increased and consistent energy level.
- Hemp – High in Omega 3’s and 6’s, it is non-allergenic and promotes a healthy skin and coat.
- Coconut – considered a superfood that promotes good digestion, joint health, and a shiny coat.
- Pumpkin – full of vitamins and helps with good digestion.
- Kale – Rich in vitamins and antioxidants, high in iron and calcium, thereby promoting strong bones.
- Other ingredients: carrots, blueberries, turmeric.
Many of these ingredients are foods that I grow in my own garden not just for ourselves but for the dogs as well. We often supplement their dry food with turmeric and coconut oil. These are ingredients we truly believe in, made simple for preparation.
Macanna Starters freeze-dried treats contain only 5 simple ingredients, all from the same list as their foods. Luke and Cricket were ready to dive right in to sampling those “appetizers” first! I think their faces show their enjoyment!
We’ve been fans of family owned and operated Grandma Lucy’s for a while now, and for many reasons including the quality ingredients listed above.
- None of those ingredients are from China, and 87% are from the USA.
- All foods are made in the USA (California) in small batches.
- They are all natural, non-GMO, with no preservatives or by-products.
Most are grain free, except for their Organic Baked dog treats. The coconut treats we received are wheat free, made with organic oat flour. You may remember when we did a review earlier this year, that the Organic Coconut Baked treats were our late golden retriever Sheba’s absolute favorite; Luke and Cricket loved them as well. They were certainly happy to see a bag of those on the table!
The freeze-dried foods are easy to prepare, simply add warm water and wait 5 minutes. The Macanna pre-mix contains the same ingredients only you can add your own protein! Since I often cook extra chicken, and sometimes turkey or beef, when cooking for the humans, this works out well for us too.
How would you like to have your own little summer party with your dogs? Grandma Lucy’s would like to give one of our readers a chance to win a bag of the Coconut Organic Oven Baked Treats and a sampler pack of the Macanna freeze-dried foods! Just fill out the widget below to be entered to win.