Ever since I wrote my first ever blog post about animal testing for cosmetics and household products, I’ve been an advocate for shopping “cruelty free”. That was in September 2012 in support of the Beagle Freedom Project and it has taken some time to make that switch. I think I can safely say that over 4 years later at least 95% of the beauty products I purchase are not tested on animals.
*Disclaimer: This post contains affiliate links. If you order through these links, we may receive a small commission, and we thank you for your support!*
It makes me sad that sweet dogs like beagles are used for medical testing, as well as cats and primates. It is my hope that these companies can find other ways to test their products. It is most distressing, however, that bunnies, guinea pigs, mice and rats are used for cosmetic and household products testing. That seems so completely unnecessary, especially in this day and age. There are other ways. Many countries have banned or are working on banning cosmetics testing on animals. It is a good place to start.
There are so many layers to this subject, that I am not going to go into it all here. I have made the choice to not purchase healthy & beauty or household products that are tested on animals. If you would like to learn more on the subject, I found a very thorough article that covers all aspects: “Everything You Need to Know About Animal Testing” by Cruelty-Free Kitty. Her blog has completely up to date information.
I’d like to share some of the products I use. I’ve tried many over the years and these are some that I have stuck with, or recently found after a long search.
Clockwise from top left:
- Healthy Accents bar soap. This brand is carried at my local Hannaford supermarkets. CF products can sometimes be on the pricey side, but this soap is very reasonably priced at $1.39/bar.
- Jason Powersmile toothpaste*. Jason makes many wonderful products. The bonus with a company like them is that their products are not only cruelty free but natural and free of other nasty ingredients. This is the best tasting toothpaste I’ve found.
- Nature’s Gate hand and body lotion*. This is another natural product and non-GMO. I love the pomegranate sunflower scent, and the bottle is pretty too! I keep some right on my kitchen windowsill.
- Alba Botanica Hawaiian oil free moisturizer*. I find it difficult enough to find an oil free moisturizer for my face that I like, never mind one that is cruelty free! This can seem pricey, but one small container really lasts me a long time.
- This Preserve razor and refills* was my most recent find. I have been looking for a long time for one. Obviously, razors are not tested on animals, but I wanted to find one made by a company that did not, and that was difficult. I love this razor, and as an added bonus, it is made from recycled materials!
- Shampoos and conditioners from Renpure (I like Cleansing Conditioners*). This was another of my more recent finds, and this works great. Renpure is a family owned business who believes in sourcing their healthy ingredients ethically and responsibly. They have the nicest scents too like vanilla mint and sweet pomegranate.
In general, I find that many cruelty free companies have values that align with mine in other ways; more natural and safe ingredients, and eco-friendly. That provides more than one reason to give them my support.
I want to thank our blog friend Barbara at K9’s Over Coffee who inspired me when she recently shared some of her favorite cruelty free products in her article: “We Support Ethical Products – A Peek Inside Our Cruelty Free Dog Grooming & Beauty Basket“. Follow that link to learn of more quality products you can try for yourself (and your dogs!). You might also notice that she and I use some of the same products and brands!
Shopping cruelty free can send a strong message to big corporations that these are the products we’re looking for, and so many animal lives can hopefully be saved from the cruel and heartless fate of life lived in a laboratory.
Are you ready to go cruelty-free? If you already have, please feel free to share your favorite products in the comments section below. Also, stay tuned for our follow-up post on household products!