We are pleased to be co-hosting the 3rd WOOF blog hop along with Oz the Terrier and Roxy the Traveling Dog. WOOF (Working Out Our Fears) Support is where reactive dogs and their owners can come together to share similar experiences. Are you a reactive and/or fearful dog or its owner? Then please join us and share your story. The Blog Hop is open through Sunday.
The theme for this month’s hop is “What I Love About My Reactive Dog”. Those of us with reactive dogs are often dealing with the fear, anxiety, and embarrassment of trying to keep them under control. I imagine there are people out there who might give up on a reactive dog and find a new home for them or even take them to a shelter. But those of us writing these posts, or those of you searching the internet for information on how to help your reactive dog, well, we wouldn’t dream of it. Why? Because we love our dogs so much that we will never give up on them no matter what.
For a time, let’s put away our fears and anxieties to focus on the good! Here are the top 10 things I love about Cricket, our reactive beagle (in no particular order):
1. Cricket is at most times the happiest little dog you will ever meet. When she is doing something she loves, her tail is constantly wagging a mile a minute. It makes me smile when I watch her out in the yard with her nose to the ground, tail wagging away, just happy to be there; or when she’s lying on the couch and my hubby or I approach her and her tail immediately starts wagging.
2. This sweet face:
3. Even though I know her intensity is what makes her reactive, I still love it. She puts herself into whatever she is doing 100%! Look at her focus on her ball (and notice the tail wag in the left photo):
4. They might have their squabbles, but she loves her siblings. They all play and sleep together. She seemed subdued the day that Luke was at the vet getting neutered, and again when Sheba was at the groomer.
5. She is teaching her new little brother all kinds of things. Now that spring is here, the screen porch is being used a little bit again, and she is teaching Luke how to open the doors so they can go on and off the porch when they want.
6. Her beagle bark. All true beagle lovers adore the AROOOO of a hound dog! If she hears or sees something in the woods outside her yard, she is down at the fence letting everyone know!
7. Cricket is shy of strangers, but once she warms up to people she is just as loving with them as she is with us.
8. The way she loves the sunshine….she is just as much of a sun worshipper as I am. Actually, she just plain loves heat. She will lay in front of the woodstove in the winter until she is panting from the heat.
9. Her endless energy and enthusiasm for playing. She is like the energizer bunny sometimes when it comes to playing ball, and she throws herself into the game with all she’s got. It doesn’t matter what the season is; she loves to play in the snow, and she loves her pool when it gets warm.
10. She is a loving, affectionate girl who showers us with kisses on weekend mornings when we’re watching the news and having our coffee in bed. I have a short video here of her with my hubby, illustrating how she expresses her love for us. The quality isn’t the greatest, because this was taken over a year ago with my old phone. You’ll still get the idea.
Join in!! What is one thing you love the most about your dog?
If you have a reactive or fearful dog, please feel free to join our hop this time or in the future! It is held the 2nd Thursday of every month. You don’t have to be a blogger to benefit from this; we also have a Facebook support page which anyone can ask to join. There we also share tips and stories to help and support each other.